Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Quilts


So for this Christmas, as part of my grieving process, I decided that I wanted to get crafty...I decided to make quilts for my family out of my dad's old t-shirts, jerseys, and other things. He so much and actually had a lot of stuff to choose from. I definitely didn't have a shortage of clothes to pick from.

So for about a month, all I did was work, eat, sleep, and quilt...It was really difficult and really emotional at times but it was also really good. One of the hardest times I remember was when I was cutting up his aloha shirts...most of them were dry clean only and when you only a wear a shirt for a couple hours at a time and like 3 times a month it doesn't get dry cleaned every week or so. I picked up one of his shirts and started to cut and I just got a huge whiff of him. The shirt still smelled like him because it hadn't been dry cleaned and not wore before he died. It made me miss him like crazy and I just sat there smelling that shirt for like 20 minutes.

I had lots of moments like that through out the process but I also had lots of release and healing as well. So...here are my quilts. Well some of them anyway. Not pictured are my moms and Tiffany and Richards.


Rick and Carol...All those white squares have little music notes on them...
special for Auntie Carol


Grandpa and Grandma...this took FOREVER!!!

Auntie Jamie

Lauren

Alanna...did you know that her hip bone comes up to the top of my rib cage!!!! RIDICULOUS!


Uncle and Auntie...Old Guys Rule...

2 comments:

Diana said...

Kristie, thank you so much for sharing. When I heard about the quilts you made I had really hoped to get to see one, so thank you for sharing these pictures. I hope you made one for yourself too. After Neal's mom passed I remember I opened a closet and the sheets she had slept on on her last visit were there. In my true slacker form I hadn't washed them and I remember how they smelled like her too. I just held them and cried, and she was my mom-in-law, so I can only imagine the experience with your Daddy. I pray as you wrap yourself in your quilt, you feel the arms of your heavenly Father holding you near to His heart. Love you girl!

carolyn said...

These quilts are so special and I know my parents treasure the one you made them. Thank you for taking the time to make them!
Love you!